Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"When the Dog Bites, When the Bees Sting" For all You Boppers Out There.

I have grown up with Jazz Music.
Residing in a Household where Latin Jazz and John Coltrane were regularly played I have grown to appreciate the art form of Jazz a lot more these days.

There is something about Jazz that makes me mellow and pensive while allowing me to daydream a lot more then I should
The other cool thing about Jazz is that due to the lack of lyrics in most compositions it allows one to perhaps make up a story in their head about what the different melodies and notes could represent or whatnot.
One more thing is that depending on what type of Jazz music you are listening to the different instruments such as the trumpet or the saxophone could embody different emotions and feelings.

One of my favorite Jazz songs of all time is "My Favorite Things" By John Coltrane.
Not only is this song a remake of the famous giddy song sung by Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music but the way that Coltrane plays it makes it seem sadder and gloomier than usual. There is something about Coltrane's version that gets me every time; the way that he plays the main chorus line, "these are a few of my favorite things" makes you feel warm inside and is so beautiful it makes you want to cry.

This song really needs no explanation, Its so unique in itself.


No comments: