Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Okay! I know I'm Late.

So if you know me, you could probably vouch that I have been desperately searching for new music.
I mean, there are only so many times one could listen to "Birthday Sex" or could care less about turning my swag on everyday when I wake up in the morning.
I have always been into different kinds of music, especially forms that are not familiar with mainstream success.
The Fugees, however are the exception. They have had both mainstream success as well as producing meaningful music that can make you dance and think at the same time.
John Forte, who is not apart of the Fugees but associated with them is the change in the music world that I seek.
John Forte's story is as follows:
Forte, was a rapper, producer who had a influential stake in the alternative hip hop scene of the 90's. In 2000, he was caught and arrested at Newark Airport for Possession of 1.4 million worth of liquid cocaine. He was convicted and sentenced to the minimum requirement of 14 years in prison.
Suprisingly, advocates for Forte believed that he did not receive a fair trial. After 7 years, he was pardoned by George W. Bush in 2008 and was released from prison a few weeks after. It is said that as soon as he was released from prison he bought a Blackberry, Ipod and Macbook (Go Figure).

Well we all know what happens when people spend long bids in Jail; they become a Hip Hop Intellectual. The only thing to do in Jail is read, gain knowledge and plenty of time to reflect on your life choices.

I am pretty sure Forte will become one of my fav artists. His lyrics are thought provoking and sincere and his musical ability is above any of the antics we have seen thus far in the entertainment industry. Not to mention he is nice to look at (dreads=love)

John Forte "Life Has Just Begun" from The ICU on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Nana said...

So now back there, you will have a way to get them now. You should have told me. I'm linking your blog