Thursday, September 4, 2008

Tribute # 3: Black Pride, Black Love; Obama Edition


Ain't nothing like a grandmothers support


So I was overly excited and elated when I saw this picture of Barack Obama's grandmother holding up an old campaign sign outside of her home in western Kenya after welcoming Obama's Democratic National acceptance speech. This picture is a idealistic and sentimental reminder of how far we have come as a people. From being ripped away from our homelands and loaded into a ship not knowing where it was going to becoming *president of one of the worlds most powerful countries. One of my friends Cynthia aka Watsonville (her hood) imagined what she would say if someone asked her what her grandchildren does, "So what does your grandson do?", "Oh he's President of the United States!"



The famous but oh so lovely fist-bump also known as the "DAP"


This picture celebrates black love at its finest moments. Michelle and Barack are G's for incorporating this into their daily regime of giving props when they are due. In a world where black women are being over sexualized in the media and black men are supposedly "forced" to date outside of their race due to the attitude of the Black Woman and Black men being so desirable, this picture restores my faith of their being such thing as strong black love in today's crazy wild world. Not only does this symbolize strong embrace and devotion but it makes me feel a sense of familiarity and pridefulness in the urban culture. Also it just makes me love them even more!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loooooooooooooove it! Man this has got to be the happiest years of my life watching this man...Inspiration for this young black male!

Anonymous said...

Agreed.

Unknown said...

I see the resemblance between Barack and granny.

NickE said...

His granny is so cute, she reminds me of my granny!