Monday, September 1, 2008

Barack Obama!!! Yes We Can!!


So I dont know if your parents or grandparents told you the stories about their first voting experience. Rather it be Clinton, Bush, Nixon, Bush Snr, or JFK, this election is different in many ways. This year I will exercise my right to vote for the first time in my life and I will be voting for a BLACK PRESIDENT. I Regret not writing about this sooner but I was super busy this week. I first heard about Barack Obama sometime in the early 2000's when I came across his book, Dreams from my father. Sometime later during my first year of college I came across another book of his in the airport, I bought it and immidiately began to read it while waiting for my flight (the rest is history). This day and age when African Americans are constantly being criticized by the media and the American Governement, Obama gives me and the rest of America hope that things can be changed and you just dont have to stand on the sideline and accept them anymore. I emphasize the word "Hope" in that last sentence. Watching the Democratic National Convention really hit the nail on the head for me as far as me for the first time being extremely proud to be an American. Obama is not just a "Black" president but he is an American, and Multi-racial as well as Multi-cultural, he also comes from the working class of Americans and knows what that life is like which gives him precedence when it comes to helping Americans. Whenever I hear him speak I see glitches of greatness that will manifest into something so majestic later on. I'm sure this is the same way people felt at the time when they heard MLK speak. I am just really excited to Vote this year for the first time and as Obama treads on his path to presidency you will be hearing a lot more from me.

No comments: