Wednesday, January 27, 2010

American Pie

I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually
-James A. Baldwin


Soooo Im sitting in my American Studies Seminar class and while listening to the discussions of the readings the issue of American Studies being anti-American comes up. As a 4th year American Studies major ( and sociology minor)I feel that the only thing that I have learned throughout the years that is of extreme importance is the alternate histories that people have yet to hear about American life.

Numerous times I have asked myself what does it mean for a person LIKE ME to be an American Studies major. Me, a first-generation-American and person of color growing up in one of the most richest, influential and also historically racist countries. I often question what it means to be American as well. The AMST major is supposed to encourage critical thinking and to provide a space for students to learn about the other side of America, the countless stories left untold.

Since my inception into The University of California I have taken classes about Race and Ethnicity, Native Americans and Cultural Production, Jazz Cultures, Immigration and Assimilation issues as well as Whiteness and Racism. I have learned to grasp these concepts and incorporate them into my everyday thinking.

In a couple of months I will graduate and leave behind all of my emotional baggage in regards to being a minority on a predominantly white campus, having to struggle with budget cuts to my education as well as hustling money every quarter to pay for my late fees. It is both a happy and frightening feeling at the same time. It is frightening in the sense that once I Graduate I will be confronted with these same issues that I have read in AMST text books.

No comments: