Thursday, February 25, 2010

Real Pain! Real Action

I am an American Studies major so I talk about race, and inequality over and over again until my head is on the brink of explosion. This past quarter I have come to the most significant and important realization in my life...no matter how many times one could talk about the ills of society and how change is very much needed-THIS IS REAL!
* Never in my life have I felt that I have had to speak for an entire community when it comes to discussing the problems that we face in society
* Never in my life have I felt uncomfortable in my own house/room
* Never in My life have I felt uncomfortable with doing my own Hair in the presence of a person that does not share the same experiences as me or a member or ally of my community.
* Never did I think I would have to fight to take a class during my last quarter of my Undergrad career on People of Africa by a BLACK professor
* Never in my life have I been SO DAMN ANGRY!

Coming from Ghana, I have thought about the ways in which I could work towards incorporating some of Ghana's genuiness and truthfulness into my everyday living.

At the end of every trying day I reflect for 15 minutes before I lay my head down and fall asleep. Some of the things that I experience on a daily basis makes the very core of my soul ache, no one knows my struggle. My years in college have made me a very hopeful thinker in terms of human nature and the constant belief that racism and ignorance could be cured; 4 months till graduation and that dream for me has been shattered. I am a good and kind person by nature, I have good intentions and I hate to see people hurt. No one cares to see my hurt, and it is not a type of hurt emotionally, its the type that is an attack on not my character but the color of my skin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.